80 people sick, 12 in intensive care, after eating Shigella (diarrhea shit in the food...) in California Mexican seafood restaurant

From: Tyler ([email protected])

SAN JOSE, CALIF. (AP) – Public health officials say more than
80 people contracted a bacterial infection after eating at a San
Francisco Bay Area restaurant and that 12 of them people have
been hospitalized in intensive care.

The Santa Clara County Public Health Department issued a warning
to people who ate at Mariscos San Juan on Friday or Saturday.
The restaurant had its permit suspended and remained closed as
of Sunday.

The department says many of the people sickened over the weekend
by the intestinal infection caused by the shigella bacteria have
required admission to a hospital. Symptoms include fever,
abdominal pain and diarrhea.

Dr. Sara Cody, Santa Clara County's health officer, says
shigella can be spread by people who do not wash their hands
after using the bathroom. It is treated with antibiotics.

Calls to the restaurant by The Associated Press rang unanswered


Share |